Episode 46: Genifer Murray
Into the Weed
The U.S. cannabis industry is on fire — last year it grew to $11.3B. Genifer Murray has played a key role in the weed world since cannabis was legalized in Colorado, and now boasts more than nine years of experience in the business. She is also a staunch advocate for women in the hemp and cannabis industries.
As a lobbyist, scientist, speaker, entrepreneur, and influencer, Murray helped found one of the first analytical cannabis testing labs in the U.S. She was ranked one of the 100 most influential people in the cannabis industry by Cannabis Business Executive magazine. She now runs her own cannabis-inspired jewelry line, GENIFER M.
Murray explains the state and federal laws impacting cannabis, her passion for enforcing testing standards, and alludes to where she sees the future of this commodity headed. You’ll get it all on this episode of SheVentures.
- 4:02 — Murray discusses her pivot in college from dentistry to microbiology.
- 07:14 — Finding her true calling at age 40, Murray’s chance encounter with an acquaintance propelled her career in cannabis.
- 9:30 — Murray credits CNN’s Sanjay Gupta’s series on medical marijuana as a key driver in destigmatizing its use.
- 12:25 — Cannlabs — Murray’s foray into the testing and safety of cannabis and hemp — put a spotlight on the need for standardization.
- 17:09 — What is the 280E “tax problem” and how did it affect Murray and others involved in the industry?
- 20:19 — On a federal level, the Drug Enforcement Agency classifies cannabis as a Schedule 1 drug. As a result, even in states where medical or recreational marijuana is legal, business owners struggle. Many dispensaries conduct their business primarily in cash. Murray divulges the risks and dispels many myths.
- 25:50 — Murray talks about the power of marketing and how one group of guys in the 1930s gave marijuana the bad rep it has today.
- 30:00 — After finding what she thought was the perfect investor, Murray ended up getting pushed out of the company. Find out why.
- 33:20 — What are the top don’ts for entrepreneurs starting today, according to Murray?
- 37:38 — Tired of cannabis merchandise being represented by reggae and tie-dye, Murray wanted to create a new kind of association with marijuana. Her answer: an elegant jewelry line called GENIFER M.
- 40:28 — Murray lists the numerous medical, scientifically-proven benefits of marijuana.
- 46:53 — Is there a level playing field for women in the cannabis industry? In one word, “no,” according to Murray. Listen to her stats and personal experience.
- 50:00 — “We [women] need to be more proactive with supporting each other instead of being catty and ridiculous.” Murray lays out how we can help ourselves in the fight for equal rights.