Episode 3: Erica Meltzer
Erica Meltzer Democratizes Standardized Testing
Erica Meltzer has taken the SAT and ACT tutoring sphere by storm. After scoring an improbable 800 on the verbal portion of the SATs, Meltzer realized that she had a unique perspective to share, which she now spreads on an international level. Her first book, The Critical Reader, which she originally self-published, has sold over 160,000 copies to date. How has her focus on the socioeconomic disparity of tutoring in the U.S. set her apart from the rest in her field? Find out on this episode of SheVentures.
- 2:56 — Find out how knowledge of Latin and French in early education helped Erica Meltzer scoop an 800 on the verbal SATs.
- 8:16 — Ever wondered how the SATs have changed since the ’80s? Wonder no more.
- 15:05 — Meltzer started a blog because of socioeconomic issues of tutoring. “I didn’t want to be responsible for perpetuating this type of inequality. It just made me uncomfortable.”
- 18:20 — Listen to Meltzer describe the self-publishing world that helped catapult her book to an international sensation.
- 41:45 — Tips and tricks for students taking the SATs and ACTs.
- 51:39 — Learn what you can do to help close that socioeconomic gap as an educator and entrepreneur.